Call Us: (631)858-2200

What Do I Do If I Move or Get a PCS?

How we can help

Since we specialize in law enforcement tax preparation, we are very familiar with how a government PCS works.  If you have any questions or need any assistance relating to a PCS, please contact us and an associate can assist you.
Also when a move takes place there are many possible tax issues that can occur.  State and local income tax rates are all different throughout the country.  We can help you project what your new expenses will be in your new location.  If you are trying to figure out what tax impact a new home purchase or an old home sale will have on your return, we can assist you with that as well.
Additional information we will need in a move year
This is a list of additional items we will need if you have moved in the current tax year: 
  • Date of your physical move to new location.
  • Closing statement of your sale of old home even if sold through relocation.  (Hud 1 or statement of equity)  If available please provide the original purchase statement of this home.
  • Closing statement of purchase of new home. (Hud 1 statement)
  • Make sure to include all 1098 mortgage interest forms from all properties including equity loans.
  • Any additional W-2's from your employer issued for moving expense reimbursement.
  • Printout of all PCS expenses that were covered by your employer.
  • Any additional moving expenses that were not covered by your employer.
If you have any questions about any of this while you are getting your paperwork together, please contact us and we will let you know what is necessary.

Featured Articles